Missionary sex is seen as one of the most vanilla sex positions you can do. But listen, there is a reason why it is on the list of classic sex positions. It works! And the best thing about the missionary position is that you can tailor it to suit your needs. So let’s dive into why missionary sex might just be some of the best sexy times you’ll ever have, as all it takes is a little creativity and passion for taking this from mundane to magic.
What is Missionary?
The missionary sex position is typical of a cisgender hetero couple. The woman lies on her back while the man mounts on top of her, face to face.
Of course, if this does not represent your relationship dynamic, it can be used by all gender combinations. In this article, we’ll mainly be talking about missionary sex in the case of a cisgender hetero couple. So feel free to adapt anything we suggest for your own relationship dynamic where applicable.
What’s so Great About Missionary?
One of the main benefits of the missionary is that it stimulates both the g-spot and the clitoris, which can lead to some earth shattering orgasms for the female receiver. It’s also a great position for couples because it’s super intimate. You can literally look into your partner’s eyes as you orgasm or vice versa. And that can be really hot in the heat of the moment.
Not only that, but it also requires next to no effort on the receiver’s side either. So if you like to receive during sex, missionary might actually be the best position for you.
How Can you Take the Missionary Sex Position to the Next Level?Well …
- Don’t use it as the number one position: Although it might be tempting, do not head for this position when you first start having sex with your partner. Try other positions first that make your clit desperate for an orgasm. Focus on vaginal stimulation for a while and leave your clit wanting. Have some hot and heavy penetration sex, and just as you think you’ve lost your mind with the ecstasy of it all, switch positions to missionary and slow the pace down. Now your clit and vagina are super-sensitized, long and slow direct strokes will feel am-a-zing. The added pressure of your partner’s pubic bone on yours will send you over the edge before you can say orgasm. Extra orgasmic power goes to you if you use the CAT sex position … keep reading.
- Graduate to the CAT position: This position is the gold standard of the missionary style. The CAT stands for Coital Alignment Technique, and without sounding too scientific, it basically means aligning your genitals in such a way that both of you get the satisfaction you need. To do it, you simply get into the traditional position with the man on top, except he moves a bit forward so his head is above yours and his penis is facing down into the vagina as opposed to up. Then the focus is on the guy pressing his pubic bone into the woman’s mons pubis to stimulate her clitoris while still penetrating her. It’s not a position for fast sex, so take your time with it. The face-to-face position also allows for kissing, too, if you’re into that. This is the ideal position for “making love.”
- Use a vibrator: There are plenty of sex toys for women out there that will help you get to O-town during missionary sex, and they can make the climax feel that much sweeter. Try a vibrating cock ring on your partner’s penis; he lasts longer, and you get delicious vibrations on your clit. Slip a bullet vibrator between you during sex and give your clitoris constant targeted stimulation. Or better yet, invest in a couple’s vibrator, which you can slide into your vagina and leave in during penetrative sex. These toys usually come in a U-shape and are designed to stimulate your g-spot and clit while your partner penetrates you. That’s a lot of stimulation, and I am not complaining about that!
- Talk dirty: Being face to face gives you the advantage of being able to whisper into your partner’s ear exactly what you want them to do to you. Look them in the eye, lean in and whisper exactly what you want, and let the dirty talk fun begin.
- Nipple Play: Don’t forget about the breasts! In sex, there is a lot of focus on the genitals, but let’s not forget about one of our most invigorating erogenous zones, our boobs! Being in the missionary position gives your man the perfect opportunity to reach up and caress or squeeze your boobs. Why not take a break from the thrusting, guys, and lean down to give our nipples some TLC with your tongue? Now a little nipple play is definitely going to take missionary to the next level.
- Use a pillow: One of the easiest ways to get deeper penetration is to simply grab one of your pillows and put it underneath the tailbone of the bottom partner to tilt their hips up just enough to allow for some awesome deep penetration during missionary sex. You are welcome.
- Use other sex accessories: Missionary sex can be the opposite of vanilla if you want it to be. Think bondage gear, a blindfold, and a ball gag. Are you thinking what I’m thinking? Yep, turn your vanilla missionary moment into a badass BDSM bang, all with the help of a few sexy accessories.
- Do it somewhere other than your bed: I think one of the main reasons why missionary gets associated with being vanilla and boring is that it’s the tried and tested position for bed sex. So next time you’re getting sexy with your beau, why not have sex on a rug on the floor or on the couch? Just having sex in a different location in your house is enough to switch things up.
- Stimulate the back door: Why not try having missionary sex while wearing a butt plug? The added stimulation in your anus could push you over the edge in a different way than normal. And if you’re lucky, you could have a triple-stimulation orgasm, ie. vaginally, clitorally, and anally. Wow, I know, right!
The Climax …
After reading our tips, I hope you’re convinced that missionary sex needn’t be boring and “vanilla”. In fact, it can be the indulgent salted caramel swirl you crave. Missionary sex is great for the clitoris, so if you are in the majority of women who can only come from clitoral stimulation, this position might be worth revisiting. And if you climax, there’s a good chance that your man will too. So everyone’s a winner!