We’ve said it before, and we’ll say it again- there is no such thing as too much lube!
Although there are a plethora of varying types of commercial lubricants available, and these water-based lubes are some of the best lubes on the market, some people search for more of a homemade approach by using/creating DIY lube.
So if you like to keep things all-natural, or simply don’t have a fresh bottle of lube ready to crack open with your sex toys in hand, then you might have to get crafty with some materials already present in your kitchen or house.
There are indeed varying types of natural lubricant that make for extra wet, slippery and smooth fun, and we’re here to showcase those that are body-safe and perfect for those blissful moments of alone time or during invigorating partner intercourse.
What to Consider when Making Homemade Lube.
Keep a few important things in mind before we get into the varying ingredients that work great as DIY lube.
First of all, if you cannot purchase lubricant from a sex shop due to your age, financial situation, or other instances, you should never let this stop you from utilizing such an essential asset to incredible sex. Lube is there for a reason, and you should never shy away from it if you need it. And even for those who can produce bountiful natural lubricant from their own body, this isn’t a reason to say, “I don’t need lube”.
Instead, you might just have to take things into your own hands and get a bit crafty with DIY lube. If attempting to make homemade lube using some of the ingredients or recipes we will list below, always ensure that your body is not allergic to the chosen material.
To do this, simply perform a skin test!
Take a small sample of the lubricant and place it on your skin, such as on your hand or your arm. Lightly rub the lube in, and wait a few moments to see how your skin reacts. If you have any type of adverse or allergic reaction, anything from hives to itching and anything in between, then do not use this lubricant on your private parts!
Instead, move on to the next round of ingredients and try again. You should never compromise the safety of your health for a quick orgasm, so take your time until you find what works for your body.
As well as this, certain lubricants can interfere with latex in condoms, lowering the efficacy of the condom. If you practice safe sex with a partner, then only use the DIY lube ingredients that do not interfere with latex (we will clarify which ones are good!), and regular, store-bought lubricant might just be a better choice because of this.
However, what is really incredible about DIY lube is that many of these ingredients are actually healthy and moisturizing for your skin. They cater to the PH balance of your vagina, and they are free from chemicals. Sounds pretty enticing, does it not?
Different Kinds of DIY Lube
Some DIY lube ideas are only one ingredient, whereas others may use a few. Regardless of what, here are our favorites (and the safest!) natural lubricants.
Aloe vera does more than just moisturize your skin after a long day at the beach, and aloe vera is an excellent, as well as one of the most popular, choices of DIY lube. It has an extremely similar consistency to commercial lubricants, and after all, a handful of these products already contain aloe vera within their ingredient makeup.
So if you want to simplify your lubricant with a super healthy and chemical-free approach, aloe is your friend!
If using aloe vera as DIY lube, keep a few essential things in mind:
- Ensure that the aloe is pure, 100% aloe vera. This means that there are absolutely no other chemicals contained within the aloe product, as this may cause reactions with the skin or condoms, and that there is no alcohol present. You can find pure aloe vera at the pharmacy or local health store.
- You can use your aloe plant! Nothing is more natural than the real deal, straight from the inside of a lush aloe plant.
- You can use 100% natural aloe vera with condoms, as this does not interfere with latex. If there are any other chemicals present at all, however, then this is not the case.
What’s the deal with DIY lube products that work great for skin/suncare?
Just like how aloe vera is a go-to for sunburn relief, coconut oil is a natural form of sunscreen. And the reason both of these are excellent homemade lube ingredients is just that! They are safe for your skin and commonly used as organic cosmetics.
Coconut oil is one of the most popular choices in DIY lube. Most of us already have some lying around somewhere in the house, it smells good and has a wonderful, slippery consistency.
But once again, be a little careful:
- Coconut oil interferes with condoms! It is best for masturbation or for couples who do not practice safe sex—that, or also for a foreplay-oriented massage.
- Always use 100% certified organic coconut oil.
- Pure coconut oil without any other ingredients, especially sugar, is always the best. This means virgin or unrefined coconut oil.
- It might cause urinary tract infections, so always wash well and pee after use.
What cookin’ good lookin’? If you’re hungry for a wet and euphoric sensation, then olive oil is a great choice of DIY lube. It’s simple, straightforward, and lasts a heck of a lot longer than water-based lubricants. This means less time reapplying and more time enjoying.
Sounds nice? It sure is, but keep a few things in mind:
- Olive oil is not safe for condoms! The oil will deteriorate and break the condoms, leading to a higher chance of pregnancy or STD/STI contraction.
- Always use 100% pure, organic olive oil free from other ingredients.
- Olive oil is not easily absorbed into the skin, therefore potentially causing breakouts in acne-prone individuals and carries a small chance of causing a UTI.
- Always wash well and pee after using olive oil as DIY lube.
For another homemade lube featuring oil, avocado oil works wonders. Avocado oil also lasts a lot longer than water-based lubricants and is a great way to compliment wild sex with some skin moisturization!
Obviously, avocado oil is edible, so you can lube yourself up for some solo fun or use avocado oil during an orgasm-inducing round of oral sex, and it doesn’t taste or smell as strong as the coconut and olive oil counterparts.
But, just as with the other oil-based DIY lubes:
- Avocado Oil interferes with condoms! Best for solo masturbation, foreplay with glass or silicone sex toys, or oral sex.
- Always use 100% organic olive oil (we don’t want pesticides in us, right?)
- Works great as DIY anal lube
- Always wash well and pee after use
Homemade Lube Recipe
So, you can use aloe vera with condoms, but you can’t use the oil-based DIY lube ingredients with condoms. Always remember this key fact!
If you are looking for yet another condom-safe and sex toy-safe DIY anal lube or vaginal lube, then this simple recipe has you covered and is one of the best ways to make your own water-based lube right from the comfort of your own home.
Easy to make with a short ingredient list, let’s get right into it.
1 cup Water
4 tsp Cornstarch
Homemade Lube Steps:
Mix water and cornstarch together until cornstarch is dissolved into water.
Place mixture into a saucepan, and slowly bring to a boil on low to medium heat
Once boiling, stir well for 30 seconds to a minute.
Use to your liking and enjoy!!